Friday, October 15, 2010


TIME MACHINE: CLASS OF 88 TV

What are you doing this weekend? Why not 'stay in' and watch 88-TV?

What is so great about 88-TV? It is a real live time machine. You are watching a window into the past. You are seeing your classmates and friends as they once were. You'll see some goofy and funny things that will make you smile. And it will bring back memories of good times.

Around 2005, I built a streaming media server to host my family's home movies. The media server played on channel 75 on every TV in the house. At anytime during the day, we could flip to Channel 75 to relive a vacation, or a birthday, or a special Holiday.

To enhance the streaming server, I built scripts that changed the content depending upon the season and the month. For example, at Christmas time we would see Christmas video. And during the summer time, we would see summer vacation video. I then bought the Gilbert Internet TV domain and made the station available on the Internet.

As the 2008 reunion approached, I took a collection of the Class of 88 videos and created a special Class of 88 channel. With 88-TV, alumni could watch video from the school yearbook, old plays, sporting events, and more.

But then in 2009... my streaming video server died. The capacitors on the motherboard burst and the board smoked. Gilbert-TV and 88-TV went dark.

Today, with the aid of LiveStream, 88-TV is back on the air! And the quality is much better. I have added almost 5 hours of video that continually rotates all day long. In the coming months, I'll have even more video to add. I'm always looking for contributions, so please dig through your old videos and submit something for 88-TV.

What are you doing this weekend? Come climb inside the time machine with me. Lets take the Dalorean up to 88mph and go back in time... to 1988.

No comments: