Thursday, July 05, 2012

Patty Jackson: I'm good enough, and smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!

Patty Jackson: I'm good enough, and smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!


The 88-Blog is doing a series on fitness for those who want to get in better shape
for the reunion. Who better to ask about fitness then a physed teacher? The Class of 88’s own Patty Jackson.

Patty is a physical education teacher and coach who loves playing sports, hanging with friends at the Lake Ontario bay, and talking with friends on facebook. While it is amazing that she’s had the same partner for 15 years and has 3 cats, perhaps the most amazing is that she says she can tie a cherry stem with her tongue. Wow.

Patty has decided to practice what she teaches. “While I cannot claim to be the healthiest person, I do believe that eating healthy, without depriving myself is a must,” Patty explains. “I had gained a few pounds and thought it was about time I got rid of my “spare tire”! I lost 20 pounds, which I have kept off for about 18 months. I even went down 3 pant sizes!” Patty said. “Since I am a PE teacher I am very active throughout the day. But my exercise regimen tends to go in spurts. You do need to stay in really good shape to keep up with the demands,” she explains. What is Patty’s diet and fitness secret? “You can’t just diet, and you can’t just work out, both have to happen.”

We all fall into times when we just don’t want to work out. “When I fall into my “lazy” mode,” Patty explains,” I don’t do much and it shows.” Starting a workout requires one important step: starting. “Once I start working out and get a couple days in, I want to do more and more.”

Finding time to work out can be difficult. Finding a work out that you enjoy doing can make it a little easier. “My favorite workout routine is the INSANITY program. I like it because it is all about kick-butt cardio, with no weights involved. I also enjoy P90X Ab Ripper X! I can’t get out of bed for 2 days after I do that one.” One of the keys to a workout program is moderation and building stamina – don’t try to do too much at one time, but continue to push yourself to do more every time. “Right now I am training for a 5K. I have been making myself to 3.2 miles every other day,” Patty explains. “I can’t run it all yet, but I am hoping to soon!”

To be healthy you have to eat healthy. “I love Ramen Noodles, but they are 11 point of Weight Watchers”, Patty says. Does that mean Ramen Noodles are off the menu? “I don’t deprive myself of things I really want.” There will be ups and downs and times we fall off the diet wagon. “I eat what I want, but try to eat smaller portions. And if I go overboard, it’s back to the INSANITY workout!”

Studies have shown that those who socialize their fitness efforts have the greatest success. One of the many ways to socialize is to join friends in a workout program after work.”If I do a workout with co-workers after work, it makes me push myself so much harder.” Another way to socialize your efforts is to use Weight Watchers. “If you are serious about losing a few pounds, I truly recommend Weight Watchers Online! Weight Watchers taught me to eat fruits and veggies when I am hungry along with just a couple Lays dill pickle chips (my favorite),” Patty explains. “I also really enjoy Special K crisps, and you can have 30 for only 2 points, so you can still have that crunch!”

A common question everyone wants to know: what is on your MP3 player? “I can listen to anything while working out even if it’s slow – I love music! My ipod has over 1000 songs, with anything from Eminem, to Olivia Newton John, Rob Zombie, Wilson Philips, Snoop Dog, Black Eyed Peas… you name it, I have it!”

Patty Jackson practices what she teaches: eat healthy and work out.

No comments: